Size of Virtual NFT Lands compared to World Maps in non-Blockchain Games
Translucia Metaverse aims to be a virtual world that realizes all our dreams.
Virtual worlds are theoretically infinite environments
in which the user can move or walk around freely using an avatar or a connected device. But
theory is essentially just that, a theory (a supposition or a system of ideas intended to
explain something, especially one based on general principles independent of the thing
While virtual land in video games is seemingly infinite compared to the measurably limited,
and physically tangible, land on planet Earth, a more fair comparison would be to compare
the infinite-ness of scalable-ness of data servers to the ever-expanding Universe as a whole
(all the land on planet & stars included).
Virtual land is actually not unlimited in supply because it is limited to the game worlds in
which they exist and are created in. To simply say there is infinite supply, is rather
abstractly vague & hypothetical.
So how much virtual land currently exists?
While it is one of the tricks of virtual environment builders to provide an illusion of a
truly endless environment, here is a general list of 23 open game worlds and their sizes in
square miles, ending with some of the more famous Blockchain / Metaverse land real estate in
fuller detail (Sandbox, Decentraland, Somnium and the Casinoverse).
- Fortnite (3.5–7 Miles² / Depending on Map)
- The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild (28.9 Miles²)
— Fun fact: about the size of Manhattan, New York, and is 100% explorable. The Legend
of Zelda (1986 — 0.8 Miles²), The
Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (2002–16 Miles²), The
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (2006 — 1.7 Miles²)
- Far Cry 2 (31 Miles²)
- Assassin’s Creed Rogue (27.2 Miles²), Assassin’s
Creed: Origins (31.6 Miles²)
- Grand Theft Auto V (31 Miles²)
- Fallout 4 (43 Miles²), Fallout 76 (120 Miles²)
- World of Warcraft — Azeroth (80 Miles²) — Fun fact:
walk across the World of Warcraft, it will take around 3–4 hours in-game, walking
- Dragon Age Inquisition (45 Miles²)
- The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt (84 Miles²)
- Ghost Recon Wildlands (170.2 Miles²)
- Burnout Paradise (200 Miles²)
- True Crime Streets Of LA (240 Miles²)
- Final Fantasy XV (780 Miles²)
- Second Life (7,424,000 Miles²)
Lord of the Rings Online (30,000 Miles²)
- Microsoft Flight Simulator (196,940,000 Miles²)
- EVE Online (326,219,876 Miles²)
- Minecraft (18,000–1.5BN+ Miles²)
- Somnium — virtual land composed
of 5,026 parcels (781
Small, 2487 Medium and 1758 XL sized parcels — Total of 40km²).
Maybe one of the coolest things about the Somnium project is their Map Explorer that
gives into the state of the Somnium VR world and its 5000 parcel assets. Somnium Space
Map Explorer 
- Sandbox — virtual land composed of 166,464 parcels of
96x96m, representing a virtual world of 40km x 40km
- 16,704 LANDs (10%) are held by The Sandbox to
special events. 25,920 LANDs (16%) are held in a reserve and distributed to
creators, and gamers as rewards. 123,840 LANDs (74%) are available for users.
- ESTATEs come in sizes of 3×3 (9 LANDs), 6×6 (36
LANDs), 12×12 (144 LANDs) and 24×24 (576 LANDs)
- Fun Fact: Snoopverse — which includes 22 plots
lands, 67 plots of premium land, and 3 estates
- As of May 15 2022, there are 31,581 parcels of
virtual land available for purchase on the secondary market.
- Decentraland — virtual land composed of 90,601 parcels
of 16x16m, representing a virtual world of 40km x 40km
- The Decentraland map comprises
both private LANDowners and themed community districts.
Evolution of the Decentraland Map & Color Key 
- LAND (Dark Grey) — Privately owned LAND parcels. Can
be bought & sold on the Marketplace. DISTRICTS (Purple) — Privately owned,
themed communities. Not for sale. PLAZAS (Large Green Squares) — The area of the
map where players are expected to respawn and generate high footfall. Plazas are
not for sale. ROADS (Light Grey, Straight Lines) — Roads are not for sale.
Decentraland Maps Evolution
- The Casinoverse — developed virtual land estates in
the game CasinoEmpire.io for sale right now that
leads to the unlocking of the first The
DAO Social Casino of a limited 2,000 individual of development casino virtual estate
- You can acquire virtual land now at ground floor base
prices on their Mint NFTs —
Virtual Land Estates NFTs details page.
- Undeveloped virtual land lots in the Casinoverse are
listed for release Fall of 2022. Be sure to follow the project on Twitter for
official release dates.
- Already developed virtual land that does not need any
more work seems to be of great value and is rare to the virtual gaming space. In
Casinoverse, you can simply buy the virtual land NFT of choice to access the
games premium bankroll building & play-to-earn features.
BONUS — Game Map Sizes vs Real World Cities
- Sleeping Dogs — Hong Kong — 1.85 Miles²s vs. 427
Miles². The game is set in the real world of Hong Kong, which is about 1.85 Miles² in
size. However, the actual city is over 200 times as large, 427 Miles².
So now that you know virtual land is actually limited, what is the other side saying?
The most pondered question by the media seems to be “Why on Earth would land in the
Metaverse be scarce if each new game can create new land?” Well, these questions
validate our response at the beginning of this post. Virtual land is limited to the number
of games releasing virtual land. And this is only hypothetically infinite.
And to answer the question of “Are some pieces of virtual land more valuable than others
based on it’s location when you can just teleport your avatar anywhere?” The answer
simply, Yes. Because not only does this question assume that one can simply teleport and
avatar anywhere (we are years and years away from any good interoperability UX much less
seamless teleporting between worlds), we must factor in the utility and development
virtual land space just like in the real world.
Not all land is the same in the virtual worlds. Some generate income. Some exist to
show off art. Some are portals. Some simply exist. The real question should be, where should
I buy virtual land estates to achieve XX business or personal goals. Those unable to see the
value in virtual land right now are most like is the same people that could not see the
value of having a website in 1996. And we know what happened to the internet since. The
Metaverse simply is the next evolutionary state of the internet and virtual land is here to
stay, whether people like it or not.
- Decentral land https://decentraland.org/blog/platform/land-parcel-size/
- Sandbox virtual land on Blockchain https://uk.investing.com/news/stock-market-news/virtual-land-just-sold-for-2200-sand-in-the-sandbox-2648588
- Learning The Basics — Decentraland https://nftplazas.com/decentraland-map/
- How To Use The New Somnium Map Explorer https://somniumtimes.com/2020/04/17/how-to-use-the-new-somnium-map-explorer/
- World’s Biggest Games Ranked by Size https://screenrant.com/biggest-open-world-video-games-ranked-size/
- How big is World of Warcraft in size? https://pro-reed.com/2022/02/08/how-big-is-world-of-warcraft-in-size/
- Why on Earth Would Land Be Scarce in the Metaverse? https://news.yahoo.com/why-earth-land-scarce-metaverse-185156533.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall
You can find this article on Medium and other articles like